16 January 2010

The Love I Lost

When I was a kid, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes were a staple on the radio. I remember listening to those cool, smooth sounds at the Southside swimming pool, the only public swimming pool my home town. To say that 70s R&B shaped me is an understatement. I listen to those tunes to this day.

I think my favorite Teddy song was "Come Go With Me", which interestingly enough (I think) is that it is more associated with The Staple Singers. It has even been re-made by BB and CeCe Winans.

But this week, the world lost one of the greatest voices of that era. Teddy Pendergrass, former front man of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes died of colon cancer. Although he was handsome, suave, and sexy, I never really had a crush on Teddy. But he was fun. He was dynamic. And even the accident that left him in a wheelchair couldn't stop him from seducing every woman on the planet.

Whatever "it" is, he had it in spades.

Teddy, thanks for the memories. Thanks for the tunes. I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment