25 December 2008

Chasing the Fat Man

Christmas Eve and I'm driving to my sister's and what before my wandering eyes should appear, but an adventure with a capital A.

You know. A side trip.

Those unintended little detours in life that make the journey worthwhile. Those who know me know that I'm a big fan of adventure. In Wyoming, there was the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport. In Greensburg, Indiana, there is a tree growing out of a clock tower. But today. Christmas Eve. When all over the world, children look to the skies for the Fat Man. I knew just where to look. Christmas Boulevard in downtown Santa Claus, Indiana.

I knew I was in the right place. There was Santa Claus Car Care, because even Santa's sleigh needs a tune up before his big day.


And Santa Claus Chriopractic. I guess lifting bags of toys up and down all those chimneys is bound to give Santa a bad back.


I bought two cans of creamed corn for our Christmas dinner at Holiday Foods.

And all those letters you send Santa? Probably get processed through Santa Claus' very own post office.

And you thought the headquarters of operations were at the North Pole. Do you have any idea how cold it is at the North Pole? Well, neither do I, but I'm guessing plenty cold. So what better disguise than for everyone to think you are at the North Pole when you are really in the middle of Indiana.



In any event, it was a great adventure, even though I kept chasing dead ends. I think they were trying to throw me off the track.

And they sure have the Christmas spirit in Santa Claus.

I even think I caught a glimpse of the Big Guy over Louisville.

And while I know that Santa Claus is German, I think this was an extremely poor choice of poses, all things considered.


In any event, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. And to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment